FOUNTAIN INN NATURAL GAS Safety
Natural Gas and You / Safety Tips from Fountain Inn Natural Gas
(Para recibir el mensage en espanol Ilame al 864-862-0042)
Fountain Inn Natural Gas operates natural gas facility in or near your property. Because you live and work in the vicinity, we are providing this safety flyer to educate consumers regarding our pipeline safety program and basic natural gas information.
"Fountain Inn Natural Gas wants to make everyone aware of some very important safety issues regarding natural gas"
Our Commitment to Safety
At Fountain Inn Natural Gas, we are committed to safety programs that will help protect our customers, our employees, and our pipelines. As part of that commitment, we are providing key safety information for your home or business. "Please take a few minutes to read this important safety bulletin"
Basics of Natural Gas
- Natural gas is an excellent source of energy for your home or business at very low costs. It is reliable and safe for the environment, but like all sources of energy it must be used wisely.
- Natural gas is a non-toxic and colorless gas which is lighter than air. As a very important precaution, natural gas being piped to your home or business has a harmless odor very similar to rotten eggs that you can easily detect even the smallest amount of gas that may escape.
- Because natural gas pipelines are underground, line markers are used to indicate the "approximate" location of our lines. However, these line markers do not indicate how deep the pipeline is buried.
What to Do If You Suspect a Gas Leak?
Natural gas smells like "rotten eggs". Some signs of a gas leak include:
- Blowing or hissing sound
- Dust blowing from a hole in the ground
- Continuous bubbling in wet or flooded areas
- A spot of dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
Fountain Inn Natural Gas is a part of your community. As your neighbors, we know it is important for everyone to be informed and know how to respond in case of a natural gas emergency. We work closely with public fire and safety officials to promote natural gas safety. We routinely provide prevention education and training at least one a year, to inform local officials on how to respond in the event of a natural gas emergency.
If you smell gas:
- Do NOT try to find or stop the leak
- Do NOT smoke
- Do NOT use lighters or matches
- Do NOT turn any switches or appliances off OR on
- Do NOT use a phone or cell phone
- DO leave the area, and go to a safe location without operating a vehicle THEN call Fountain Inn Natural Gas at 864-942-8100 or 911 to report the suspected leak
Damage Prevention- Call Before you Dig
If you are planning to dig on your property, follow these important steps:
- State law requires that, before digging, you call the national hotline before you begin any excavation work. Call 811 or 1-864-942-8100 at least 3 working days before you dig.
- Dig with care. If you accidentally hit the pipeline, no matter how minor it may seem, call Fountain Inn Natural Gas immediately at 1-864-862-0042 or 864-862-4461
- Fountain Inn Natural Gas personnel are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week @ 864-862-0042.
For any life-threatening emergency, call 911